A shoot like this is an interesting little beast. It seems simple, and it is. But straightforward can sometimes be a photographer's enemy. First of all, space was a really big issue. When you walk into a shoot like this, you have to be ready to set up a makeshift studio instantly. I probably spent 2 minutes longer than I should have to decide where to shoot. We used the lobby, and it worked. The group shot didn't turn out the best, although it was definitely decent. There just wasn't enough room to squeeze in 12 people and get the "pleasing" lighting effects that strobes can do.
The neutral background became a little bit of a colour issue for me. I must admit, I am not an expert when it comes to white balance. I wasn't exactly pleased that my colours weren't consistent throughout. If you look at this set, you'll see that the background fluctuates between green-brown-beige. If I'm going to continue to step it up to that "next level," this is something I need to master soon.
Other challenges? Timing. I had one hour exactly. There wasn't room for many mistakes or re-takes, and I had some trouble in the beginning with one of my strobes. My sb26 must have been running low on batteries and it was really frustrating. A quick strobe change solved the situation.
Another hurdle was models who were in a rush to go somewhere else. This was extremely distracting for me. One of my first models told me right from the beginning that she needed to leave because her parking meter had likely expired. I didn't want to be the cause of a parking ticket, so I tried my best to hurry. Unfortunately, her photo didn't turn out as well as the others'. Working quickly, I'm discovering more and more, is an important skill. You have to work fast and have the confidence that you're getting good results in the time that you use. Performing in clutch situations is absolutely key, and this is something that you'll develop over time.
Overall, a quick job resulted in photos that I'm sure they'll be happy with. The individual portraits were my favourites (As you can see, they're the ones that I uploaded to flickr). It was definitely a new experience, a sort of "factory/assembly line" of portraits done in a short period of time. I'll need to fine tune my white balance/colours, and make sure that I always have fresh batteries.
No comments:
Post a Comment